Learning Leaders is New York City’s largest and most experienced organization dedicated to engaging families and communities to support student success. Serving NYC public schools since 1956, our programs are proven to enhance student achievement by providing individualized tutoring and assistance to schools and increasing parents’ ability to foster their children’s education.
Empowering Family Members to Support Children’s Education
Learning Leaders enables parents to support their children’s educational experience by increasing their knowledge, skills and confidence. Our interactive family workshops inform parents about how the public school system works, ways to facilitate learning at home, and how to further their own personal and educational development.
On any day during the school year, Learning Leaders may be conducting workshops in up to 20 different locations on diverse topics in English, Bengali, Chinese, Haitian-Creole and Spanish. Learning Leaders’ publications that accompany these workshops are provided free to participants in several languages. We offer 25+ workshops covering critical areas for parent engagement:
- Supporting literacy and math skills outside of the classroom
- Middle school academics and developing essential study skills
- Understanding child and adolescent development and fostering self-esteem
- Navigating middle and high school admissions processes
- Educational paths for parents to pursue high school credentials, higher education or career training
To further strengthen the educational development of public school students, Learning Leaders recruits, trains, places and supports family and community volunteers in schools throughout the five boroughs. Volunteers provide:
- One-to-one and small group tutoring in the critical subjects of reading, writing, and mathematics as well as support for new English language learners so that students have the strong foundation they need to succeed throughout their educational careers and beyond.
- School support, such as recess and lunch supervision and library assistance to ensure a healthy learning environment.
- Coaching, including helping students develop study and organizational skills.
- Literacy enrichment programs that promote a life-long love of reading and writing; encourage students to discuss and think critically; and develop confidence and communication skills.