Part-Time Parent Workshop Facilitator (Bilingual: Bengali/English, Chinese/English, Urdu/English, Arabic/English, or French/English)
Date: September 2016
Location: New York, NY
Description & Details
Learning Leaders, the nation’s oldest and largest public school volunteer and family engagement organization, seeks bilingual (Bengali/English, Chinese/English, Urdu/English, Arabic/English, or French English) training and workshop facilitators to deliver educational workshops and volunteer training for parents of elementary and middle school students. The mission of Learning Leaders is to help New York City public school students succeed by training volunteers to provide individualized instructional support and other school-based support, and by equipping parents to foster their children’s education development.
The Training and Workshop Facilitator supports the mission of Learning Leaders by providing up training sessions for parents who want to volunteer in a school, and facilitating educational workshop sessions to parents to help them support their children’s academic development. A training or workshop session is approximately three hours. This is an ideal job for a grad student, or retired teacher. We will do our best to accommodate your schedule.
- Deliver training on the elementary or middle school core curriculum and related topics to parent volunteers at public schools throughout the five boroughs of New York boroughs in English or one of the following languages (Bengali, Chinese, Urdu, Arabic, or French).
- Deliver Family Literacy Workshops at public schools throughout the five boroughs in English or one of the following languages (Bengali, Chinese, Urdu, Arabic, or French).
- Provide follow-up training and on-site support throughout the year to parent volunteers with limited English proficiency.
- Provide support to Parent Coordinators of schools with predominantly English Language Learner families.
- Work collaboratively with a team of other workshop facilitators and program managers to deliver district-wide presentations and training sessions.
- Administer post workshop evaluations, follow up inquiries, or surveys to participants in their native language.
- Assist with the development and translation of workshop materials and documents for outreach.
- Proof read previously translated workshop materials and documents for mistakes, making corrections when necessary.
- Demonstrated skills in training and facilitation, workshop development, public speaking, and adult learning practices.
- Proficiency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and in one of the following languages listed (Bengali, Chinese, Arabic, Urdu, Arabic, or French).
- Related work experience in education, parental involvement, or community organizing an asset
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage all administrative aspects of the position including but not limited to inputting data onto a web based system and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, and show up to events on time.
- Available to work either in the morning between 7:30 AM and noon, from 6 PM to 8PM or Saturday mornings.
- Must be reliable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field.
4-year degree, Education or Related Field
English, Bengali, Urdu, Arabic, Chinese, or French
$25 per hour for curriculum development and translation, and $50 per hour for facilitation.
Owner’s areas of focus:
How to apply
Complete applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Complete applications include the following:
- Cover letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications as they relate to Learning Leaders and this position, including a description of how prior experience and skills have prepared the candidate to fulfill the job responsibilities detailed above. Also include when you are available to work (mornings, evenings, and/or Saturdays).
Please send application materials via email to email@example.com with the job title, your name in the subject line, for example, Part-Time Parent Workshop Facilitator (Bengali/English) – Nirupa Roy.